Sunday 15 February 2015

Journey to Rach Gia - The big TET gettaway

The bus journey to Rach Gia was a bit special. We were booked on the 7:20am but have to be there half an hour before. This is normal in Vietnam, I've no idea why because I'm yet to take a journey that leaves on time. This meant I had to be up quite early - about 5:30. The journey should take about six hours to Rach Gia from Ho Chi Minh City on any normal day..... But the first day of the TET holidays is no normal day.



When we arrived at the bus station it was still dark and I can only describe the scenes as Chaos. If you've ever seen those pictures on TV of of Chine where everyone is going home for the holidays, it was a bit like that. There were so many people, motorbikes, luggage and buses, it looked incredibly disorganised but I'm guessing it was 'organized chaos' The pictures above do not do it justice.

As I've said before pretty much everyone goes home for TET. Most people don't come from Ho Chi Minh City so the exodus form the city is special. We left about an hour late because of the chaos.

Once I was on the bus it was ok as I have a sleeper so I can lye down and relax. Now, after three and a half years in Vietnam I'm very used to the traffic and never really notice it any more. TET however was different, I was amazed at the traffic leaving the city. We crawled most of the way to Rach Gia. I took some pictures from the bus. 

I was really amazed at what people were carrying on their bikes. Basically, you had families going on a weeks holiday and carrying everything. This included kids, bags, food, fans and crates of beer. Check out the pictures below. 
 
Flag sellers




 

So this journey, that should have taken 6 hours, ended up taking 10 hours which also meant we missed the last boat to Hon Tre Island and would have to stay in Rach Gia for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment