Sunday 3 July 2011

4,000 Islands, Laos

Vientiane to 4,000 Islands
After leaving Vientiane 6 days ago and travelling about 28 hours broken up with a number of stops, ive finally arrived in my final Laos destination which is the 4,000 Islands. This is basically a group of Islands in a wide part of the Mekong River in the southern tip of Laos. The River at this point is several kilometers wide and depending on the river hight there are approx imately 4,000 Islands. I personally think this is a big of exageration. I'd say there is a few hundred but not 4,000. It would be like calling Poole Habour '200 Islands'. Perhaps this would be a good idea to boost tourism.




Laid back Don Det
I spent my first night on the biggest Island called Don Khong. It was very quiet being low season but I hired a bicycle to explore the Island. About 5k into my bike ride I got a puncture so had to walk back to the shop. Id not past anything except fields on the way so this took along time. Some on the local children found it hilarious and stopped to point and laugh at my misfortune.I got a new bike and decided to go the other route around the Island. As this Island is in the Mekong river there are no beaches and it was mainly paddy fields and small wooden huts along the dusty roads.



Li Phi Falls
 On the second day I moved to another Island called Don Det. Again I hired a bicycle to explore the Island. Don Det is far more scenic than Don Khong and the ride took me the length of the Island along the river front. There was a bridge to a second Island and a place called Li Phi falls which is an area of the Mekong River where the river is rapid. Locals believe bad spirits get trapped at this place but I didn't see any whilst I was there.

This is my last evening in Laos and I will be catching a 9 hour coach to Phnom Penh in Cambodia tomorrow. I'm looking forward to moving on and going to a city after the quiet past week coming down through the south of Laos.

Another Big Buddha on a hill

View from Don Det

No comments:

Post a Comment