Tuesday 12 July 2011

Siem Reap and the Temples of Angkor


Back at the Bayon Temple


In the past couple of days ive been exploring the temples and having fun in Siem Reap in the evenings. Yesterday I hired a bike and was taken by a local, who we'd met at one of the bars in Siem Reap and who is also a temple tour guide to some of the more lesser known but still very good temples. It was great going with a tour guide who can give you more information on the temples than the lonely planet guide book which is what I rely on. It also helps as you don't get hassled by the souvenir sellers as much as when you are just with Western people.




Sunset at Phnom Bakheng

We stopped for lunch at a small restaurant in the temple grounds. Things are so different and far more laid back here. After lunch we relaxed in some hamocks in the back of the restaurant, I fell asleep and was woken up a hour or so later by a chicken with its chicks walking past me!?

We went to watch the sunset near Angkor Wat at one of the temples called Phnom Bakheng which is on top of a big hill which, as you can see was fantastic. I'm still really liking Siem Reap im tempted to stay longer and think its a place I'd like to come back to.



Sunset at Phnom Bakheng

Ive booked an overnight bus from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville in the South of Cambodia for tomorrow evening. This will be my final stop before making my way to Vietnam via Phnom Penh on 17th July to get ready to start my CELTA on 25th July.

No comments:

Post a Comment