Saturday 27 August 2011

Finding work as an English Language Teacher in HCMC

on the restaurant wall

So after finished my CELTA course it was time to look for work. As I had complete my CELTA at the ILA school here in Ho Chi Minh City I was offered an interview which was booked for last Monday. I wanted to look at some of the other big schools in the city so spent the early part of the week sending my CVs to those schools too. 

After a few days I had been offered a part time job at the ILA with two interviews set up with other schools.



City Photo
The ILA wanted me to start on their induction program straight away, since the school offers good support for new teachers and quite liking the idea of working part time and still being able to afford to live in HCMC, Ive decided to take the job. The induction program started on Friday where I attended a few workshops. I will be teaching mainly children which Im happy with as its a nice way into teaching and the lessons will be over the weekends which means apart from two hours a few evenings a week I will be pretty free Monday to Friday!




Food on a night out
On Saturday I observed a number of other teachers over a number of different age groups. The classes seemed quite fun and I'm looking forward to starting. I have some more induction training early next week and then I have my first lesson Thursday afternoon (1st September). Its Vietnam national day (A bank holiday) on 2nd September and lots of flags have been put up around the city. I'm not really sure what will be happening but the school is closed so my next lessons will be over the weekend.




River view of the city
Over the next week I will be looking at getting a perminent place to stay. Alot of the teachers share accomodation together which will be a good way for me to meet more people. I'm also looking into getting a motorbike which is concerning but exciting.

My main objectives over the next few months will be to settle in the city and keep improving at teaching. I've already found some people to play football with and found some great gyms that I'd like to join. I'll keep you posted on how it keeps going.

No comments:

Post a Comment