Saturday 6 August 2011

CELTA, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - Week 2/4

Lunch time at one of the roadside eateries
Just finshed the second week of my course. They weren't lying when they said it was an intense course. I've been getting into the school at 7am when it opens and staying till 9:30pm when it closes to keep up with the workload and it still feels like I could do more work. Its pretty stressful at times having to get lessons planned for the next day but its a great feeling when its over. Ive completed half of my assignments and done 5 of my 9 lessons. Next week is going to be very tough too as ive 3 more lessons and an assignment to hand in but week 4 should be a bit easier.


Big jugs!
The teaching is going well and I'm improving with every lesson. The learning of how to plan a lesson is priceless and I don't think I'd be able to teach without having done this course. Every day I get suprised at how friendly the people and particularly students are at the school. They vary in age between 18 and 30 but they are all so nice and seem alot younger than their actual ages. Pronuncing the names is always a challenge. One of the students in my current class is called 'Phuc' which is hard to say and keep a straight face. However I did find out in Cambodia that my name 'Joel' translates very closely to 'fart' in Cambodian which provided the Khmers I met with alot of laughs.

The local Bamboo seller
I went out with everyone for the course last night  to unwind and had some beers after a tough week. Its really good to have such nice people going through the same experience as me. The restaurant did some great food and the shrimps were the best ive tasted. I'm starting to try more food and eat at the local eateries during the day on the streets. Some of the combinations of flavours are amazing and like nothing ive tasted.

I've got a full weekend of lesson planning and coursework ahead of me but only two weeks to go!


I still chuckle at some of the thing I see when I'm here. Check out the guy above selling Bamboo from his bicycle...

No comments:

Post a Comment