Tuesday 13 March 2012

Getting hotter in Ho Chi Minh

With our friends visiting
Been very busy over the past few weeks in Ho Chi Minh. Our house had some friends, who completed the CELTA course with us, come and visit. They opted not to live in the city but took teaching jobs Vung Tau which is a small beach town two hours away on the south coast of Vietnam. It was really good to see them and we had some good nights out.

I went out for a meal the other day for one of my work colleagues birthdays. We had a good time and tried some interesting food. The 'hot pot' below is bulls penis, I tried some it tasted ok but I won't be buying it instead of a beef steak in future.

Bulls penis
The other dish you can see is Cheesy beef. I know what your thinking... the cheese looks suspiciously like one of those slices you put in a burger at bbqs and you'd be right! This doesn't take the title of least creative dish I've seen. When In Cambodia someone I was with ordered cheesy chips. The dish came out as a bowl of chips with a cheese slice laid on top. It had not been melted or mixed into the dish, just laid on top. It's something that I could easily create at home. Saying that the Khmers are not really know for their cheesy chips and there was far more tasty and interesting local dishes on the menu.

Other news is that we have some honey bees have moved to our upstairs garden. We had a house discussion about what to do with them and unless they start attacking us we will keep them. We had a bbq a few nights ago and the smoke disturbed them and they revealed to us the honey comb! It should be ready for harvest in a few months so we could have our own 'Ho Chi Minh Honey'. Getting the honey down might be a problem so we will play furthest from the bull on the darts board to see who goes to get it. I will be practising. I'll see if I can get a photo for next week.



Finally the weather is starting to heat up. The temperature in the day must be late 30s but its not too humid at the moment. It should peek in May time which will tie in with my 1 year away from England.


No comments:

Post a Comment