Saturday 11 February 2012

Return of the SIDL darts season

AC-Dc vs Blue Gecko @ M52 bar
Fantastic news! The dart season returned to Saigon this week and our first game was against the all girls team of AC-DC. When I joined the blue Gecko team last year this was my first match and as we all know I got my butt kicked by a girl. Since that dramatic night in early October I've been playing more and practicing more so I was keen for a re-match with the girl who beat me.

On the day of the game I text my boss to see if he could re-arrange the showdown for that evening. Sadly when I got to the pub - the M52 bar in downtown HCMC, I was told that she's not playing because she's pregnant.... I didn't see that coming!

Tuesday night darts action
However there were still plently more ladies to be beaten by so I didn't let it get to me. I'm happy to report however that the season started where the last one finished and I won my singles game comfortably 2-0. The girl seemed a bit moody when I beat her and sat in the corner looking glum for a while. Now I'm not one to take pleasure in other peoples misery but this did make me chuckle. More good news is that I checked out on my first dart in the first leg and the fifth dart in the second leg.



Random photo - taken at the reunification palace in HCMC

Our team won the overall game so we are 1 and 0 for the season. We have a few new players and some of the old ones have made way so we could be challenging for the Division 3 title this season. Some more good news is that there is a website for the Saigon International Darts league which has standings and individual stats. I'm joint top at the moment on 1 win with about 30 other people! Our team is called the 'Blue Gecko' and we are in division 3 - http://www.thesidl.com/


Apart from the darts ive not been doing that much. I don't start working for real until next week. I've started playing football three times a week. I hours 5-a-side costs about 60p - bargain! I've been doing lots of prep work and getting some extra hours teaching children. Its such a nice pace of life out here. Really different to England. It doesn't feel like work most of the time but at the same time I feel I'm developing my teaching skills and improving as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment