Friday 20 January 2012

Siem Reap and Angkor Watt revisited

Sunrise at Angkor Watt
After being in Sihanoukville for a few days I started to get a bit bored of the beach so decided to head north and revisit Siem Reap and Angkor Watt with the plan to then go to Battambang which I wanted to see last time I visited Cambodia but didn’t get time. I took a bus which ended up taking 14 hours from Sihanoukville. The road between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap was pretty damaged due to the floods several months ago which made for a bumpy ride.


What I saw at sunrise


I wanted to see the sunrise an Angkor Watt which is supposed to be pretty amazing. Sadly the picture above isn't mine. This photo was taken by a friend of mine some time ago. The picture to the right is what I saw.... grey sky! The sun let me down and hid behind the clouds. So I didn’t really get to see the sun rise I just got to see it get light.


Bayon temple
It was still pretty cool. I hired a bicycle and cycled there at 4:30am. There’s very little street lighting so I was cycling in the dark for most of the journey. After watching it get light I revisited some of my favorite temples from before. I got back to my hotel at 11am and it felt like I’d done a full days sightseeing.

I’m going to Battambang tomorrow which is the home of the bamboo train and supposed to be a nice town.


Ta Prohm

No comments:

Post a Comment